Search This Blog

Saturday 22 October 2011

Roasted Cinnamon Sugar and Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Part of the fun of carving a pumpkin is checking out how many seeds are inside—and eating them!

Here's a great recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds. I have a sweet tooth, so I like cinnamon-sugar.

What you need:

Pumpkin seeds
Cinnamon
Sugar
Olive Oil

What to do:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
After seeding your pumpkin, separate the seeds from the pumpkin pulp. Rinse the seeds in a colander under cold water and shake them to dry.
Spread the seeds on an oiled baking sheet. Roast them for 30 minutes to dry them out.
When you take the seeds out, toss them with olive oil, cinnamon and sugar.
Bake them for 20 more minutes until they are golden.

Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

* 1 cup pumpkin seeds
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon chili powder (this is a lot, feel free to adjust to your taste)
* 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt (adjust to your taste, I like things salty)

1. Place pumpkin seeds in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat
2. Stir frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until seeds make a crackling noise, some will even pop
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in olive oil, then chili powder and salt
4. Cool and serve

With a bounty of squash and pumpkin this time of year, it is wonderful to harvest the seeds and roast them, which we often do here in my kitchen. This recipe however, uses shelled pumpkin seeds, which I purchased at the health food store. I'm sharing this with you as it is my favorite recipe for spicy roasted pumpkin seeds.

While many people toast pumpkin seeds in the oven, this recipe calls for a cast iron skillet on the stove top. If you don't have (or want to use a skillet) feel free to experiment and let us know how it goes. As I often say, if you are making changes to a recipe, the only way for me (or you) to find out if your changes work is to actually test them (I don't have a magic substitution ball at home, I just test a recipe dozens of times until it is exactly the way I want it to be). So don't be shy, get in the kitchen and experiment!

How do you like to roast your pumpkin seeds? With the shell on? Shell off? What spices do you add when you cook up a roasted pumpkin seed recipe?